10.18.2009

The City Market

In case you haven't noticed, I'm digging the blogging. I've been an avid reader of mostly craft/mama blogs for some time now but didn't think I would ever get into this as much as I have. Mostly, it gives me a reason to put my thoughts into words and get out into the world and take pictures. Photography has been a passion that has gone to the wayside a bit. It's coming back. It's good for my soul.

Yesterday, Kedzie and I made our weekly trek to the Asheville City Market. There's many markets in Asheville, but this is the one that's closest to us and also the one our farmers (the farm we bought a CSA - community supported agriculture - share from this year) are at every week. Their produce is always so lovely and absolutely delicious. We've been quite pleased with them, plus Kedzie just loves seeing Christina every Saturday morning!

In case you can't see everything: kale, lettuce, sweet potato, radishes, carrots (red & yellow), fingerling potatoes, apples(lots of orchards around here), fresh hand-made porcini gnocchi and pasture raised bacon. (Free Range Eggs are not pictured)

So, our weekly ritual is Friday night make a menu, Saturday head to the City Market first and buy all the ingredients we can, then head to the grocery store to pick up the rest of our needs off the list. This is a very time saving, money saving way to do things. You never wonder what's for dinner because it's all planned out and all the ingredients are in the fridge waiting to be made into a feast.

Here's the menu for this week:
  • Hamburgers with sweet potato fries and sauteed kale
  • Omelets with fingerling potatoes hash and bacon
  • Chicken Pot Pie
  • Kale and Potato Soup with white beans
  • Gnocchi with gorgonzola dolce sauce and side salad
  • Mushroom Casserole
This is what I mean when I say we eat like kings.


This is my half eaten breakfast I picked up at the Market. I had to save half for Sam because I knew he would swoon. This picture is horrid, but the Jimmy Nardello roasted pepper and butternut squash croissant was divine. The absolute best croissant I have ever had. Hands down. Sam agrees.
                                     
(If you have time make sure you click on the link for Asheville City Market, there are some gorgeous pictures taken by a local photographer. AMAZING!)

Market aside, here are some pictures of the deck in progress. Sam and Charlie (our awesome designer/constructioner) are currently working on decking. Totally house changing.


                                                          

We'd love to know how  y'all  keep down costs but still eat healthy meals. Please share!




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?